What Is the Towing Capacity of a Ford Explorer?
Curious as to what is the towing capacity of a Ford Explorer? If you’re interested in driving this Ford SUV around Beaverton, knowing that the new Explorer can tow between 3,000 and 5,000 pounds may be crucial to make an informed decision. What’s more, the Explorer boasts a payload capacity of up to 1,717 pounds. As you adventure and explore in the Dick's Mackenzie Ford area, these figures may permit you to haul a camper or bringing along a boat. Luckily, the Explorer has the muscle to get the job done. Learn more about the Ford Explorer towing capacity and its performance capabilities with Dick's Mackenzie Ford!
Ford Explorer Engines and Towing
How much can a Ford Explorer tow? There are three available engines on the Ford Explorer, and Aloha drivers should note the difference in their towing capabilities.
- 3.5L Ti-VCT V6: Twin independent variable camshaft timing (Ti-VCT) propels this engine to churn out 290 hp and 255 lb-ft of torque. Towing maxes out at 5,000 pounds.
- 2.3L EcoBoost® Inline-4: With turbocharging and direct-injection technology, this engine is capable of 280 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque. The maximum towing capacity is 3,000 pounds.
- 3.5L EcoBoost® V6: This variation on a V6 delivers 365 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque. To all four wheels via the Intelligent 4WD system as standard. Towing tops out at 5,000 pounds.
Ford Explorer Towing Packages
In order to achieve the max towing possible by engine, consider the following trailer tow packages:
- Class II Trailer Tow Package: Models running on the 2.3L EcoBoost® Inline-4 engine have access to this package, allowing it to tow up to 3,000 pounds thanks to a wiring harness and a frame-mounted hitch.
- Class III Trailer Tow Package: Models with either of the V6 engines have this package available. It includes an engine oil cooler, a frame-mounted hitch, and four- and seven-pin trailer connectors, all of which help the Explorer tow up to 5,000 pounds.
Ford Explorer Towing Safety
In order to tow safely around Tigard, take advantage of these features available on the Explorer:
- Intelligent 4WD with Terrain Management System™: Depending on the road conditions ahead, choose between Normal, Mud/Rut, Sand, or Grass/Gravel/Snow modes to take on challenging terrain with optimal traction.
- AdvanceTrac® with Roll Stability Control™: This system relies on gyroscopic sensors to monitor yaw and roll rates in an effort to retain control when wheels slip, when you understeer, or when you oversteer. AdvanceTrac® with RSC™ also comes with Curve Control, which adjusts speed during tight turns.
Learn More About the Ford Explorer at Dick's Mackenzie Ford!
Want to learn more about the Ford Explorer? Get behind the wheel with a test drive at Dick's Mackenzie Ford! Contact our team to plan your visit to the dealership. Interested to know how other models compare? Check out the Ford Escape towing capacity to find out!
More from Dick's Mackenzie Ford
Curious as to what is the towing capacity of a Ford Explorer? If you’re interested in driving this Ford SUV around Beaverton, knowing that the new Explorer can tow between 3,000 and 5,000 pounds may be crucial to make an informed decision. What’s more, the Explorer boasts a payload capacity of up to 1,717 pounds….